We know that fundraising isn’t always easy.
Asking friends, family, colleagues and networks to support you may be overwhelming, but we’re here to help.
The pointers below are designed to give you a few ideas around what you can do to raise funds (and earn your kit!), and maximise the impact of the efforts you are undertaking.
Here are our top tips for earning your exclusive Santini Ride for a reason kit!
1. Sharing your story
Give your family and friends a reason to sponsor you. Explain why this is important – if you or someone you know have been affected by cancer and you are happy to share this story – include it.
Make sure you also take the time to send personalised emails to family and friends when you ask for donations, it’s worth the effort. See our sponsorship and thank you letter templates here.
2. Include photos and videos
Including visuals on your fundraising page will help personalise it – a picture paints a thousand words! Consider including pictures of your loved ones, someone you know who is affected by cancer as well as any cycling pictures your may have.
3. Take advantage of us!
Cancer Council SA have a team of fundraising experts who can provide you with advice on your fundraising. Call us on 1300 65 65 85 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to talk to one of our team members about your fundraising ideas.
4. Set a high benchmark for the first donation
We suggest you make the first donation/pledge to your fundraising page and in doing so, set the benchmark for the donations to follow. Don’t forget, you’ll receive an automatic tax receipt emailed to you.
5. Make good use of email and social media
Include your fundraising page link into your email signature.
Tell everybody about your Ride for a reason journey and let them know how they can sponsor you. Don’t forget to include your fundraising link on Facebook posts.
Post/tweet regularly about how you’re going with your fundraising so that others can go on the journey with you.
6. Raise $1k in five easy steps
Too many people are affected by cancer but we thank you for making a difference by raising money for vital cancer research, prevention and support programs through Cancer Council’s Ride for a reason.
There are multiple ways to bank your funds. Select from the following:
- In person Drop off your cash or cheques by stopping by Cancer Council SA– 202 Greenhill Road, Eastwood between 9.00 am – 5.00 pm weekdays.
- Online Log in to your online fundraising page and click through to ‘Manage cash or cheques’. Enter the donation details using your credit card and you’ll receive an automatic tax receipt.
- Phone Call 1300 65 65 85 (within SA) or 08 8291 4111 (outside SA) to debit the funds via your credit card.
- Mail Enclose a cheque payable to Cancer Council SA – PO Box 929 UNLEY BC SA 5061. Please do not send cash via the post.
- BPay Put the money directly into our bank account using telephone or online banking. Our BPAY® biller code and your unique reference number were including in your kit.
Contact Cancer Council SA on 1300 65 65 85 if you have any questions about banking your funds.
We can help get your story out there! Below are some tips from Cancer Council’s PR gurus to help you share your story through your local media.
Contacting local media
Think of all the communication and media outlets in your town. Good examples are your local newspapers, radio stations, Council or online publications. Many businesses and organisations have newsletters that are distributed to both staff and customers, which is also a great opportunity for promotion.
Contact these outlets by phone or email – talk to our PR Officer Natasha Richards if you need any help with getting specific contacts or need help with Ride for a reason key messages.
Contact Natasha on 08 8291 4119 or email@example.com.
Pitching your story
- Begin by telling the journalist why you are participating in Cancer Council’s Ride for a reason
- Tell them how many years you have participated, the distances you have ridden and how much you have raised in the past/present
- If this is your first time Riding for a reason – tell them what prompted you to sign up and fundraise
- Explain why Cancer Council’s Ride for a reason is valuable to you personally and to your community
- Be prepared to be interviewed personally or have a photo taken.
Sponsorship and thank you letter templates
On average, you will get one donation for every five people you email! To increase the odds, here are some tips to make your email really count!
- Make sure you include a captivating subject line
- Don’t forget to paste in your fundraising page link
- Follow up again with your work mates, friends and family in the New Year
- Be sure to send a thank you to everyone who donates.
If you are struggling to create a winning email asking people to sponsor you, check out a few email examples that might be a place to start!